2.21.2010

Fashion Stylist: Panos Yiapanis Part I

Panos Yiapanis Back Stage

i-D Photo by Corrine Day

V Magazine 2003

Alison Mosshart for Interview Magazine 2009

Courtney Love & Yiapanis 

In Givenchy (Jak&Jil)

With Leonor Scherrer (Jak&Jil)

Ponystep在09年7月刊出造型師Panos Yiapanis的訪談,在此轉貼部份精華。全文《The Man in Black》 by Dean Mayo Davis非常值得一讀!

Obviously as my career progressed and evolved I found myself searching for external sources of inspiration, outside my personal experiences and to this day that probably has been the hardest challenge. Finding that ability to develop and expand your vocabulary without drastically changing your aesthetic.

My friendship with Corinne(Day) provided me both with the impulse and impetus to become a stylist. But it was the dialogue we shared and the way we fed off one another’s thoughts and ideas that really impacted my method of self-expression. We had the luxury of spending 6 months doing an editorial, talking all week about one picture and spending a whole day shooting it. We always shot the same people over and over and with a few exceptions they were our friends. This approach is a luxury that is no longer viable, but the core desire of nurturing a bond of loyalty, consistency and friendship with the people you work with is so valuable in an industry that is so driven by change and the pursuit of novelty.

I find that I’m questioning the motive and more so, the desire that drives someone to create an image. Whereas before I felt it was in search of a beautiful exciting visual I now find myself fearing that financial gain has completely taken over. I do not underestimate the huge billion dollar machine that we all are immersed in but disagree with the climate that we have created. The most prosperous periods of any business or industry are when they are at their most creative and willing to take risks. I feel it’s become a machine churning out blandness and banality and we have all just become lazy giving the least we can get away with.

Riccardo, along with Helmut and Raf, was one of the first designers to send me a thank you note after seeing an editorial featuring his clothes. It’s difficult, now, to express how encouraging that is. This job is so hard, especially when you’re first starting out and constantly being reminded of how low you rank on the hierarchical system, that many times I would ask myself why I was even bothering. You’re over-worked, broke and strained, trying hard to build a name for yourself in an environment that isn’t very supportive and to have someone acknowledge your work with such gestures of kindness and gratitude are really precious. Even before our collaboration he always maintained a very supportive and encouraging influence.

更多Panos Yiapanis的作品在此~

沒有留言: